October 6, 2023
Update on Potential Federal Government Shutdown
Dear Starfish Employees and Families,
We have received questions about how the potential federal shutdown could impact Starfish programs and services. At this time there will be no impact to programs or services. We would like to provide you with basic points that we are aware of as of 10/6/23 and will continue to communicate when we know more:
- The current federal funding plan ends September 30, 2023 and requires a new federal budget.
- Congress has not yet passed the new budget and if they don’t, a federal government shutdown could be possible.
- While the expiration date was September 30, 2023, Congress did pass a short-term, 45-day, funding bill that now expires in mid-November.
- When “shutdowns” happen it might put a “pause” on federal services, funding and pay.
- For Starfish family Services, this may impact Head start programming, which is directly funded by the federal government across all 13 of our locations.
- This should not impact behavioral health programming.
- The last Government shut down was in 2018 for 35 days and this did not impact Starfish programming.
- Communications to Starfish:
- On 9/2/23 the Michigan Head Start Association sent a message that they do not expect programming to be interrupted. The interruption will be at the state and federal level.
- On 9/29/23 all Head Start Organizations received a message from the National Head Start Director stating that programming should continue as usual until further notice.
What we can all do to make an impact on federal decision-making is to stay in contact with our local representatives. You can write, call, or email your local representative at any time. Your story is what is most impactful to decisions that are made. Find your local representative here: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials/
Here is a link to other services that could be impacted (please note, the most accurate information can be found on websites that end in .gov):