At Starfish, we help empower families from the very beginning.
Our physical centers may be closed through April 6, but Starfish nurses & staff are maintaining nurturing relationships with our NFP family of clients.
We are also accepting NEW clients. Contact us: (833) 637-2229
About Nurse-Family Partnership
Nurse-Family Partnership (NFP) is a national nonprofit that, for nearly four decades, has delivered a life-changing community health program model in locations throughout the United States. The goal: empowering first-time moms to create strong futures for themselves and their babies.
How does NFP work?
Nurse-Family Partnership works by having specially trained nurses regularly visit young, first-time moms-to-be, starting early in your pregnancy, and continuing through your baby’s second birthday. Early = week 16 (4 months).
A relationship you can count on
Nurses and mothers make a 2.5-year commitment to each other. This equals about 60 planned home visits. That’s a lot of quality time! Our Starfish nurses help guide you, as a first-time mother, through the emotional, social, and physical challenges as you prepare for a healthy birth.
- Prenatal support is just the starting point. We support you after delivery to continue positive growth for you and your baby.
NFP in action: take a look
Check out this inspiring story captured by Fox 2 Detroit, featuring Starfish NFP Supervisor Melissa Klein and NFP mom Shar Fuquay. In addition, click here to read some amazing success stories facilitated by Nurse-Family partnerships.
What are the many benefits?
Prenatal best practices
- Prenatal care from health care providers
- How to improve your diet
- How to prepare for the arrival of your baby (e.g., what happens when you give birth?)
- Challenges following the first few weeks after delivery (e.g., breastfeeding and potential postpartum depression)
Health and development for both you and your baby
- Individualized parent coaching based on your needs
- Child development milestones and behavior
- Sensitive and responsive caregiving.
Life coaching for you and your family
- We’re here to offer support and resources to invest in your vision for your future (e.g., staying in school, finding employment, planned future pregnancies)
- Includes family members, the baby’s father, and friends
Meet our NFP team
We have a committed and experienced team of nursing professionals and support staff, including a data administrator who is vital to our success. Each brings a unique set of talents, but all are committed to creating a strong and nurturing bond with their family partners.
Meet our NFP supervisor
Melissa Klein, RN, BSN has been a registered nurse for 6 years. She received her associate’s degree at Wayne County Community College and went on to earn her bachelor’s at the University of Michigan. Melissa began her professional nursing career as a labor and delivery nurse at Hutzel Women’s Hospital, then transitioned to Nurse-Family Partnership Detroit. As a home-visiting nurse Melissa served her community for 3 years. She is now the Starfish nursing supervisor for Nurse-Family Partnership. Melissa is a lifelong Detroiter who has a strong commitment to and compassion for the families of Detroit, especially its maternal and infant community. Melissa is pictured above; she is second from the left.